Monday, May 23, 2016

New GIT Repo and code status Visual Studio 2015

For those of you using Visual Studio 2015 with SSDT and are managing your code with GIT a recent update brought a useful, but not easily noticed feature into the mix.  You can now find a status bar located on the bottom of the window that provides some useful information at a glance.  You can now see the repository name, the current branch name, number of pending updates to your project and the push status and count.  This eliminates the need to switch to the Team Explore tab and navigate the menus to check stats and the like.  Thanks Microsoft!

Here you can see that I am connected to the HomeAuto repository and currently working on my development branch where I have 3 pending file changes.


I am not aware of the exact update where this was introduced but for the record I am running version 14.0.25123.00 Update 2.

Microsoft is doing a great job in integrating Visual Studio with various versions of source control products - particularly GIT - I.M.H.O.

2 comments:

Business Intelligence said...

Howdy! I simply want to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you have right here on this post. I will be returning to your site for more soon.

Scott A said...

Thanks for the feedback!